Sunday, February 8, 2015

Integrity...lesson learned for life

I was sneaky when little. At 7, I went into a local grocery store and bought some candy. As I was leaving, I stole a pack of cigarettes and put them in my bag. The manager busted me and, instead of calling the cops, he called Dad.

I would have preferred the cops.

2 days later, after the pain from the beating subsided, Dad took me back to that store and I picked up trash for 3 hours to pay for my crime. I was so embarrassed and humiliated, I never stole again.

Fast forward 1 month. I was riding my bike in front of that same store at 6 am ( always been a morning person). I found a fat wallet in the parking lot and Immediately took it inside and handed it to that manager. He smiled and put it in the safe - and promptly got a medium size bag, took me to the candy aisle, and let me fill it up.

I took it home and Dad took me back to the store, not believing it was given to me.
The manager told him what he had witnessed ( he saw me bend over and pick up the wallet).

Dad took me out for breakfast, telling me how pleased he was with me.
I did get a reward from the owner of that wallet.

Lesson learned for life!

Author's name withheld